Saturday, September 28, 2013

Music Notation Software

One type of technology that we have not had access to until recently is music notation software.  With programs such as Sibelius and Finale, I have the art of composing and arranging music at my fingertips, something I was never really able to do previously.   Sure, I had ideas of what I wanted to write, if anything, in terms of composing music in my head, but music notation software personifies my thoughts of composition.

I am a proud user of Sibelius.  I have access to writing and arranging whatever my hearts content.  There are many different formats, font faces, instrument arrangements, and sound effects that are possible with this program.  Because of MIDI, also known as Musical Instrument Digital Interface, sound effects are built into the software, so the person that is writing the music can get as close to a real-life preview as possible of what they composed or arranged by simply clicking the "play" button.  For example, when one writes music into the line for a French horn, the sound reproduced mimics the tone color of a French horn.

It is hard for me to believe that music used to be written by hand and by whatever amount of memory the composer/arranger had of the sound they desired to be performed.  As technology takes over how people go about their every day lives, it is also taking over how people compose, arrange, and share music.  One issue that I do have with computerized notation software is the fact that, as I stated in my previous blog, human connection is being somewhat drawn away from the music being composed or arranged.

I admire 16th and 17th century composers, such as Ludwig van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Johannes Brahms, for putting their feathers, ink, pencils, etc. to paper and putting their passion, blood, sweat, and tears into all of their works.  There are fantastic works out there today that were composed only through music notation software, but I feel hitting control + C or P to copy and paste does not have the same effect as it does to literally write music.  Also, the composers I mentioned relied on their ear and their training with their mentors in theory and composition to make their point made.  Today's composers can hear their progress at the click of a button. This is extremely convenient and helpful; however, I am a big believer in imperfection and flaws.  A program like this is designed to play back one's arrangements and creations perfectly.  The same piece of music, performed by live musicians, will never be performed the same way every time.  Different ensembles and groups have their own interpretation and style of what is on the page.  When the music is played back through the software, it will always be played the same way over and over again.  For composers and arrangers, it is never enough to just rely on what the playback of their notation sounds like; they need real, human musicians to really capture what they have plugged into their program.

Programs, such as Sibelius and Finale, are a great asset to our world that is rapidly converting into a world run by technology.  Despite my thoughts about this program potentially ripping away the human connection of composition, it is a great tool for students to be introduced to when learning about composition, theory, different instrument timbres, and more within music.

2 comments:

  1. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to music, but I agree with you that technology has both a positive and negative aspect to it. I believe it is up to us to decide whether or not it is worth it or not. You clearly stated how you feel about the software. You did a good job of making that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I am an English major, I do not have much experience with either of these softwares, or music software in general. However, I think you did a great job of explaining them to people who are not familiar with them. I also agree that technology should not take over the way people compose music. A few hundred years ago, you had to have real talent to hear and memorize music that you could only write with a pencil. Now, I feel as if these programs (and many others like them) will take over and people will not have to learn how to properly make music. Also, you said that music never sounds the same every time you perform it. That is absolutely true, and with these softwares it will make people think music is perfect, when in reality it is okay for there to be flaws and have it sound different every time.

    ReplyDelete