Sunday, November 3, 2013

Unit Plan Canvas

My unit is based on comparing and contrasting different sounds in music.  The piece from my original lesson plan shapes two different characters. One part is the "Beauty," represented by the clarinet melody, and the other part is the "Beast," which is represented by the contrabassoon melody.  I have based my unit plan on this piece, because these characters are so widely represented.   There are many plenty of other pieces I could use to get my students' minds racing about imagery.  Camille Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals suite features about 14 short pieces with titles such as The Elephant, Tortoises, and the Aquarium to give listeners an idea of a picture to imagine when listening to the music.

My canvas is based on the Mother Goose Suite, which was originally a piano composition that was orchestrated for a smaller-sized orchestra.  The images give my students an idea what the composer, Maurice Ravel, looked like, and it can get their brain energized musically as well as emotionally.  I also gave the students a chance to listen to the movement once again, as well as the opportunity to read some background information on the piece.  I kept it simplistic, because my lesson is geared toward second graders.  I had the opportunity to teach my lesson to a second grade class a couple of days ago with much success, and I hope that designing a unit based on listening, comparing, and contrasting musical characters will be beneficial to my future young students.

My Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment