Saturday, October 12, 2013

GarageBand

There are several forms of software out there that can help imaginations young and old soar, but the one program that I have had experience with and would like to share about is GarageBand.  It allows the user to perform many tasks, such as create a song loop through either pre-made or original recordings, record any instruments/voice, warp music through pre-created MIDI tracks, and so much more.  The interface of the program is user friendly and easy on the eyes, moving around bubbles in different track loops that can be of different colors just to the right alignment in time.  Works of both original and pre-created loops can be combined to create exciting loops and works alike.

GarageBand is used to its full potential when utilized with a MIDI keyboard.  When the keyboard is synchronized with the program, it makes recording much easier.  One can record anything he or she desires with ease by using the keyboard to create melodies and harmonies.  The best part is the vast selection of MIDI interfaces, from percussion instruments, to brass instruments, to vocal vowel shapes, to comedic radio noises.  One can also put as many different tracks and interfaces as they would like into the file.  Also, these files can be converted into just about any audio file, such as WAV, mp3, and AIFF.

I was able to record a four-part French horn arrangement of "The Scientist" by Coldplay a couple of years ago all on my own and put it together so everything lined up correctly.  This was my final project for MUTC-101, which is Music Technology.  I used GarageBand as well as Sibelus to create and record my own arrangement of this popular Coldplay song.  I mentioned Sibelius in one of my recent blogposts, and it was a big catalyst for me to go about my project and make everything come together.  I highly recommend GarageBand for anyone who wishes to go about their musical crativity in ways they did not think was possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment