Sunday, October 20, 2013

Technology and Pedagogy

It was very difficult for me to reflect on a lesson plan off the internet, so I instead opted to use my own lesson plan I wrote a couple of weeks ago.  The only form of digital technology being used may be the piece being played itself, whether it's through iTunes, YouTube, Windows Media Player, a CD, or another source, but it should be made known that there was once a time where music was not accessed this easily.

My lesson plan is not perfect, but I do feel that there were no gaps that needed to be closed based on the curriculum goals, teaching strategies, and technologies given.  My goal for the lesson was to guide my students through more advanced listening of music by using a medium other than music; in this case, it was art.  Paper and crayons may be more primitive forms of technology, but they are still forms nonetheless that would get my students, despite their youth, to think critically about what they are listening to.

1.1.2.B.4 may not be stated in my lesson plan, but I have observed that students in the second and third grade learning about instrument families and the instruments within them.  This can be integrated along the way to guide the students even further while listening.  1.1.2.B.2 has the students identifying what they hear between the melodies of the contrasting instruments stated, and 1.1.2.B.1 has the students expressing themselves through discoveries they hear with the piece.  A Smartboard could further enhance guiding the students through imagery, especially with the "Beauty and the Beast" movie portrait I planned on showing, but I feel that overall, my goals are conveyed through the standards thanks to the support of technology.

Spreadsheet

3 comments:

  1. I really like that you chose to use your own lesson plan, and I like even more that it's a good lesson plan. I LOVE that you integrated "Beauty and the Beast" into your curriculum, and that you used art as your creative medium was great. I'm a huge advocate for accessing different artistic mediums and assimilating them into one lesson, because I believe that art's spectrum is too wide for just poetry or just music. This lesson plan is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I just have one question about your lesson plan map/spreadsheet. In the Strategies column, you indicate that "inquiry" is teacher-centered. How so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies, I misunderstood what I wrote. What I originally thought was that having the teacher ask the students for information about the piece of music would be teacher centered, because he/she is delivering the questions, but now I realize this would most likely be student centered, because the students are finding the answers about the instruments for themselves. If having the students create art work through the lesson is student centered, then having them think of the instrumentation of the piece they are hearing must be the same. Please let me know if I have this information correct now! Thank you for making me realize my possible goof.

      Delete