Friday, December 6, 2013

iPhone Apps and Music

I am not afraid to admit (once again) that I do not own an iPhone or a smartphone of any kind.  I am aware that technology has evolved to the point where I will be shocked that "There is an app for that? There seems to be an app for everything!"  A few apps that I am of aware of that exist include miniature piano keyboards, tuners, and an app to help with jazz improvisation.

Miniature piano keyboards may seem to be comical and fun on the surface, but they can serve a great purpose, especially for people who are unable to own a piano or keyboard.  It obviously cannot act as a 76-key instrument, but it can be useful for obtaining pitches for singing if there is no other means of reference.  It can also be useful for self-evaluation and assessment of aural skills.  All 76 keys cannot be there at the same time, but the octave the keyboard is in can be easily switched around.

A tuner is an essential item to have as a musician, but if one cannot seem to have a tuner for any reason, there are apps that serve as fully functional tuners that work just the same as a tuner that can be purchased.  The frequency desired for pitches can be changed, and a drone tone can be available to be heard for pitch matching.

One more app I'm aware of that exists has to do with jazz improvisation.  I went to a masterclass a couple of years ago where I learned that an app exists for jazz musicians that want to practice soloing over certain jazz chord progressions and songs.  The app will play these chords in any key or meter desired, which seriously comes in handy if a person does not happen to have music files or CDs with these chord progressions.

All of these apps have one thing in common: convenience.  Having one device that can perform functions as well as the real separate devices can be very cost effective as well as easier to handle in terms of how many physical items a person owns and carries around with him/her.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, everything that these apps have are for convenience. But if a person cannot afford a tuner, how would they be able to afford an Iphone, IPad, or such for an app tuner. Just to throw a wrench in your thinking (sorry! But that was the first thing i thought of). Do you think there are easier, and cheaper ways for people to obtain the same pitch without buying an expensive item?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use so many apps on my phone! I forget my tuner so often I probably use the one on my phone more than I realize. Definitely a life saver. I like discovering new apps everyday that assist me with learning new music or enhancing the way I learn. I think developing these apps for music is a great tool for students and teachers.

    ReplyDelete