Friday, December 6, 2013

Live Web Streaming

Three weeks ago, I had my culminating senior recital at Montclair State University.  This required me to perform 60 minutes of music in front of an audience and with just my solo repertoire, along with some ensemble pieces that required other musicians.  I happened to schedule my recital at a time that served inconvenient for some people involved in night football games with the schools that they work with, as well as for people not residing in the New Jersey area.  A form of technology that has been becoming increasingly popular is web streaming live on the internet, which I had just recently been made aware of.

I thought that setting up a camera to stream my recital live would be an arduous task, but it ended up being as easy as a few simple clicks.  Through uStream.tv, I was able to set up a channel to broadcast my senior recital on for those who could not make it or were not in the area.  All I did was set up my Google Chromebook on the side of the stage and had the webcam take all the footage of my recital.  There was a feature on my webcast to record it as I wished; I was able to get a recording of my recital in its entirety.

Overall, the live webstream served to be a great success.  I had people, from those who could not physically be there, to those who were busy, watch my recital from places across the country.  My cousin living in Washington state, my friend living in Colorado, and a couple of my friends stuck at football games were able to catch all or some parts of my recital, whether it was seen on their computers, tablets, or even smartphones.  The quality does not compare to recordings made with stellar equipment and materials, but it sure beats not being able to hear the recital at all.  I'm very glad that I was able to set that up; having those further away hear my recital would have not been possible a few years ago.

My uStream Channel

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of uStream.tv before but I can see how it was beneficial for you. If you had performed a few years ago, the live webstream would not have been able to occur. Technology has definitely made tremendous improvements within the past ten years. Using live webstream or even a webcam could allow others to watch the specific activity without physically being there. I think webcams can even be integrated into classrooms, maybe for students who are unable to make it to school/class. Webcams and livestreams could be beneficial in college settings, especially when students and/or professors cannot make it to class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is amazing! I have never heard of ustream.tv before but it seems very beneficial. This would be wonderful to implement in class rooms, if any classroom had a sick student, or even a student abroad. I agree with Antonietta, this would be fantastic in college classrooms. It would allow students more platforms for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! This is so cool! I've never thought of live streaming before but, I can definitely see the pros of doing it in a classroom setting. For instance, you may book any number of artists to play or lecture without the difficulty of travelling. It makes the whole process a lot easier. I remember in this history class I took, we watched a live stream of a class in Africa! The whole experience was a lot of fun. That just goes to show how enriching technology can be to education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? I didn't know you can do that. That's awesome. I agree with everyone, but i wonder is it safe to use it? but I totally consider using it in classroom. You just blow my mind about this. thanks. ^^

    ReplyDelete